Stuck in a work-from-home environment? Missing office and coffee shop after office to have your favourite Matcha latte? Something is interesting for you. Are you wondering how to make matcha latte at home? Try this homemade recipe of Matcha Latte and I swear you won’t be spending bucks to buy it again from cafés. This is easy to make and tastes perfect like coffeehouse standard. Its rich and creamy texture will make your Monday Blues smoother and calmer.
For the people who want to have a taste of Matcha latte, try making it at home instead of buying it. People who already love lattes will surely swear by them after trying a recipe. And people who are new to can make this at home for refreshments and try. Typically, it’s slightly bitter but you can add sweetener as per your liking.
If we talk about its history, Matcha latte is a tea latte made with green tea powder and steamed milk. Green tea originated in China in the 8th century and was brought to Japan around the 12th century. In the last 10 years, the Matcha latte has become popular in and around the world.
Its green color and slightly bitter taste with creamy texture have replaced expreso in an established café latte.
Let’s see what ingredients are required to make an amazing Matcha latte at home:
- ½-1 teaspoon matcha powder
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup warm milk (or oat milk for vegan)
- Maple syrup, honey, stevia, or any sweetener of choice
Equipment required to make matcha latte at home:
- Bowl/ mug to prepare latte
- Shaker or thermos
- Tea strainer
- Cup/ glass/ mug to serve
The process to make matcha latte at home:
Matcha is a fine powder made from green tea leaves originating from East Asia. It is consumed in Japan as a part of traditions. There are 3 types of matcha. And all 3 types are different in taste and quality.
- Ceremonial grade matcha is the best in quality and ideal for high tea parties. It is bright green and has a smooth flavor.
- Latte Grade Matcha comes second in terms of quality. It is less bright green and slightly more bitter.
- Cooking grade matcha is very bitter and brownish-green in color.
You can order it from Starbucks or other cafés. But making this refreshing and healthy drink at home has its fun.
- Start whisking the matcha using the whisker with water to make a thick paste and add water slowly as and when required. Don’t add all water at one time as it will create lumps. You have to whisk until it’s frothy. It will take 3 to 5 minutes to complete this process.
- Use honey or maple syrup or any alternative sweetener of your choice.
Note: Adding sweetener is completely optional. It just balances the bitter taste of matcha.
- Now, froth the milk using a milk frothier or a whisker. If you have an espresso machine you can also use that to steam the milk.
- The next step is to take a bowl and combine the matcha and frothed milk.
- Now it is ready to serve. Pour the matcha latte into a serving glass and enjoy.
By, following these steps you will surely be able to make a creamy and refreshing matcha latte.
People who want to enjoy this as a Vegan drink can replace the whole milk with almond, oat, or coconut milk. The process is the same but the taste may slightly vary, but all the options are super healthy and tasty.
- What does Matcha taste like?
Matcha latte is a traditional Japanese drink, where matcha powder is made from grounded green tea. The matcha powder is whisked with hot water and then mixed with steamed or frothed milk. Add sweetener if you want to balance the bitter taste. The latte gives you a refreshing taste and you can even enjoy this as your morning coffee.
The essence of matcha latte is earthy tea with vegetal grassy notes which are complemented by the sweetness of honey or maple syrup. It will have a bitter undertone taste as you gulp in. the green and creamy texture will your latte richer in flavor.
- What are the health benefits of matcha?
Matcha latte is filled with nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. It enhances your mood and boosts your energy. It contains a high level of antioxidant called ‘catechins’ which helps to prevent diseases and stimulate metabolism. Also, it helps to burn body fat. Matcha contains many other properties like helping in immunity and reducing skin inflammation.
In short, it is like a super food that has all the nutrients in it.
This is a super easy and quick recipe for a matcha latte. And I am sure you will try this at home. Don’t miss the weight and portion of the ingredients as it makes a lot of difference in taste.
If you are keen to make a matcha latte, I suggest you buy matcha from the online store. As the groceries store may not have a high quality of best matcha. It will surely make difference in taste and flavor. Moreover, it also has health benefits.